Sunday, October 22, 2006

That's what little girls are made of


I have a confession to make.
I'm broody, very broody.
I never thought it would be possible to be broody after already having one very active, very loving and very wonderful little boy but if anything I'm more broody now than I ever was before I had the boy one.
However, my broodiness has a specific edge now. I want a pink one. I want a daughter who plays with dolls and tea sets. Much as I enjoy playing with the boy-face, there is only so much enthusiasm I can muster for Scoop, Muck and Dizzy etc.
To be honest Joseph's favourite toy of the moment, Thomas the Tank Engine, leaves me cold. He isn't fun. You can't pretend to feed him, or dress him or sing him lullabies.
I think most women feel similarly, that while we love our boys, there is a need to share so much of our own existance with a darling little girl.
I think the broodiness, the desire for a pink one, has been spurred by my writing 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' in which my Main Character Aoife, gives birth to the edible Maggie (a name I now like, even though I've always hated it). The female dynamics between the four main characters in the book (Aoife, Anna, Beth and Maggie) is so warm that I want that myself.
I wonder if Santa will bring me a pink one for Christmas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not the slightest bit broody and I'm not sure I even want another one .. ever (but my husband does - oh dear), but if I could be guaranteed a girl I might consider it ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...