Friday, December 18, 2009

The slush pile

So I'm sitting here reading all the entries to the 'Journal' short story competition in advance of Tuesday's judging.
They (being my colleague Erin) asked me to sit on the judging panel as a "local writer done good" and because she scares me I felt too terrified to say no I agreed with enthusiasm. After all surely it is my duty to share the writerly love with all the lovely people of the Derry Journal circulation area?

This has introduced me to the slush pile.
We received hundreds of entries - from the sublime to the ridiculous. (I so wish I could quote you some of the more ridiculous ones... but I'm told that would be unprofessional).
But as I'm sifting through them and reading the contributions it is dawning on me that I could never, ever be a literary agent. This is not only because I don't have the balls to say no to anyone (see my comment about Scary Erin) but also because my eyes actually start to bleed when faced with certain things.

64 word sentences would be one of those things.
As would entries written with CAPS LOCK ON. IT REALLY REALLY REALLY HURTS MY EYES TO READ THAT FOR 2000 WORDS.
If you want to pass off someone else's story as your own, try to write something a little more original than the nativity. It has been done before.
Try not to creep round either us or our sponsors. That is a little bit obvious.
A fiver stapled to your entry WILL help.
Be back later...

2 comments:

Stickhead said...

LOL! I wish you could publish some!!

I remember my dad advertising a job which clearly stated you MUST be an engineering graduate with x years experience and my god - the things he got in the post! HANDWRITTEN CVs - one of which was in pencil (!!?) and another of which was on TISSUE paper - WTF!? Strange photos, scented paper - someone even sent a flaming magnet for the fridge!! All in all it confirmed that the world is far madder than I thought!

DrSpouse said...

I'm pretty sure we have the HR department for the madder applications!

I think you can read a sentence and reject most of them, no?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...