Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The new term was surprisingly emotional

I thought I was an old hand at these things.
I have packed the boy off to school for four years now (nursery, P1, P2 and now P3).
I didn't give it much thought to be honest apart from a passing nervousness about the amount of homework we are supposed to expect this year.
I took him to school, his enthusiasm infectious, and was delighted to see all his wee friends outside of the classroom as we waited for his teacher to open the classroom door.
Now I may be an overprotective mammy. I'm used to leaving him into the classroom, to his desk, and giving him a wee kiss before I go.
This morning was different. For those unfamiliar with the Northern Ireland school's system, our kids work under a new curriculum whereby Primary 1 and Primary 2 is supposed to be an extension of nursery - learning is focused through play and is less structured. (Although for my money the boys and girls in Joseph's class could give anyone a run for their money with their reading and writing).
Primary 3 is where the real works begins. As the school principal told Joseph before the summer "It's gonna be tough" (thankfully, he taught the children to say "It's gonna be tough, but I'm gonna do it!").
Leaving him today reinforced that. The teacher came to the classroom door and announced "Say bye to your mammies now, children!".
I, and several other of the self titled 'Over protective mammies brigade' almost had a stroke. What? Leave them? Here? At the door? Without knowing where they are sitting? Without knowing they are okay? Without having a wee chat with the teacher about how individually amazing our children are??????
Three of us stood, darting our head around the door trying to see that our (oblivious to our distress) children were getting on. We walked out, bereft. I have to say I fought back tears. It just seemed so grown up and it was hard for me to leave him with someone I know nothing about apart from her name.
I'm sure he is fine (she said, reassuring herself) and that he isn't given a second thought to his poor old mammy sitting fretting in her work.
But already I'm longing for hometime - just to see him and hear that it went okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I definitely don't qualify for over-protective mummy status, I left my daughter to go in on her own from about the first week in school! She was fine, and it saved the squash of everyone trying to get in/out at the same time. And the first couple of years might have a different name from over here in England but essentially it sounds the same - they are learning and doing the reading and writing but it's more based in play rather than sitting round desks, I think that's the main difference, as they progress through school there's gradually more 'formal' teaching (ie teacher standing at the front and the kids sitting at tables), but they still learn a lot (some might argue the most!) in the first couple of years through play-based activities.
I'm sure you'll get used to leaving him at the door - if nothing else it makes for a much quicker get-away ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...