Friday, November 12, 2010

Not that kind of girl

My sister (the younger one) has worked exceptionally hard and has managed to shed an amazing 78lbs this year (that over five stone in old money).
She has blogs about it here - and also about her new cooking habits which have, no doubt, aided her weight loss.
You see Emma is what is known as a foodie. She sees a cupboard of ingredients and conjures up something exotic, tasty and healthy. I am not a foodie. I see a cupboard of ingredients, get myself befuddled and order a pizza, or whizz up an exceptionally uncreative jacket potato.
I have berated myself about this for a while. I would love to be the kind of person who pours over books from Nigella/ Jamie/ Hugh/ Gordon and who creates amazing meals for my family. The sad fact is, I'm not. I think I'm the bees knees if I whip up a quick vegetable soup and or home made lasagne but that is about as far as my culinary skills go.
I do rely, perhaps too heavily, on tinned soups, pasta and sauces and yes, potato waffles and it does annoy me. But I have to remind myself that I am just not that kind of person. I never will be. I simply do not have the time to slave over a cooker for hours - not with the two jobs, two kids and house that messes itself to look after.
I am jealous though - especially of the results Emma has achieved. I also think it is amazing that her children - even the baby who is just a year old - will eat almost anything put in front of them while my two are fusspots.
I refuse however to beat myself with a stick over my lack of culinary flair and remind myself that no one does as good a cheese on toast as I do.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Your sister has done amazingly well. I'll go and check her blog out in a bit.

But can I just reassure you about something. I'm something of a foodie too. But my daughter will only eat a meal if it has come out of a jar of Hipp. And my son lived on toast, marmite and milk for the first two years of his life. He is starting to try more and more things now though. I wouldn't worry about your children being fusspots now. And don't blame yourself. x

J Curtis said...

Maybe you should invest in a crock pot if you don't have one already Claire. It really cuts dwn on the prep time.

I eat alot myself. I exercise also and now I try to concentrate on eating protein and veggies and try to stay away from carbohydrates.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...