Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Community Spirit

A reverb10 prompt

December 7th. Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?


Ah, perhaps not strictly this year because this has been an ongoing thing and I know, dear reader, I'm going to sound a bit "lovey-ish" here but this year the strength of my fellow writers has kept me afloat, made me laugh, made me cry and made me keep going.
There are those I have met in real life - notably my fellow Northern Girls, Fiona Cassidy, Emma Heatherington and also Sharon Owens and Anne Dunlop who are on hand by phone or email as often as I need them to be. The emails can be one line corkers which lift me out of the doldrums or beautifully written epistles about their lives. Only Sharon Owens can make a walk to Marks and Spencer sound like a thing of wonderment!
There has been a genuine affection, understanding and support in those emails which has been vital. Writing is, by its nature, solitary and much as my family may try and understand the ups and downs of the book industry there is a point in every conversation when there is a glazing over of their eyes and pointed change in the conversation.
In finding a wee family in the writing community I have found out more about myself and been allowed to express myself as fully as I want. As an extension of same those readers (I cannot bring myself to use the word 'fans') who have contacted me on Facebook or through this blog have been amazing. Everyone likes a little ego stroking - and I'm no exception - so thank you. You have made me feel part of something bigger than just me (and given the size of me, that's an achievement).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw thanks Claire - and yes, it's so true, the eyes of my loved ones do indeed glaze over as I ponder the vagaroes of the publishing industry. All they see are the flexible hours - never the loneliness of the long-distance writer. Or the way it can make one almost a social recluse. So it's great to be able to have an online moan with like-minded scribblers such as yourself.

As for my walks to M&S - they are a distant memory in this winter. The staff used to know me so well they had barely to look in my basket when totting up - 3 pasta bakes, 1 baguette, 1 box cream cakes!!! These days I'm sure they think I've emigrated!!!

Merry Christmas, my dear girl.

Sharon
xxx

Anonymous said...

PS. Didn't mean to be anonymous - can't seem to leave comment as myself!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...