Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mixed blessings

I went to visit my granny yesterday. She's in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's and hadn't met Cara yet. As Cara's middle name - Anna - is in her honour I so wanted them to meet even though I knew my granny wouldn't know her, or me for that matter and that whatever time she spent with her newest great-grandchild would be forgotten within seconds.
So I went and introduced my daughter to her and she held her so tenderly in her arms that I had to fight the urge to cry. She hushed her and instinctively her loving motherly instinct soared right in and while I knew the connection was broken - she would never know who this child was - it was a lovely moment.
And then it was over. She was distracted and my daddy handed me my baby back while granny was lost back in her own world.
It was gone and done and over and I wish with all my heart it wasn't.

So if you have a spare moment and a spare couple of quid please please visit the Alzheimer's Society and read more, or donate some. For granny's everywhere.

3 comments:

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

A horrible disease. I'm glad for that one flicker, though, and that you were there to see it. I hope you snapped a picture.

Fionnuala said...

WHat a lovely post even though its sad....I've just finished reading a brilliant book called 'Still Alice' by Lisa Genova, an American writer all about a woman of fifty who develops early onset Alzeimers. An incredibly sad story but beautifully written....Fx

Evie said...

I've tears in my eyes reading that. That was a sweet moment to have, but all to brief. Alzheimers is a horrid disease.
xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...