Monday, November 27, 2006

Tacky Tuesday- Tina Arena


(NB: I know it's only Monday, but I won't be here tomorrow so tik yer oil, as we would say in Derry)

DURING LAST week's discussion about the tacky music I have now stored in my car, Keris mentioned that Tina Arena's 'Chains' was perhaps the best song to sing whilst under the influence of alcohol.
After much thinking (in other words, I read what Keris said) I agreed that Tina Arena, the Australian songstress, really does provide value for money when it comes to singing while drunk-ability.
Now Chains rocks, which is why I've included it here. But let's not forget her lesser known classics 'Heaven Help My Heart' (there is a class story about my sister, her housemate, loud singing and huge embarassment related to this song) and I'm also loving her 'Wasn't it Good?'.
If you want to go the whole hog to real amazingly tacky and wonderful out of tune singing-ness (on my part, not Tina's, I hasten to add), there is also her rendition of 'Whistle Down the Wind'.
But for now, I leave you with 'Chains' complete with performance advice.
(Sing with hairbrush in hand and make sure your hair is down, so you can swoosh it around dramatically)

Your arms are warm but they make me feel

As if they're made of cold, cold steel

A simple kiss like a turnin' key

A little click and the lock's on me

Can't move my arms, can't lift my hands

I won't admit to where I am

But I know baby, I'm in chains

I'm in chains (Look dramatically around you)


I pretend I can always leave

Free to go whenever I please

But then the sound of my desperate calls

Echo off these dungeon walls

I've crossed the line from mad to sane (I always thought this was A-Z...now this makes more sense)

A thousand times and back again

I love you baby, I'm in chains

I'm in chains

I'm in chains

I'm in chains (swoosh your hair NOW)


Should have known passing through the gate

That once inside I could not escape

I never thought this could happen to me

Never thought this is where I'd be

But baby, baby, baby, look at me

Baby, baby, look at me, (You have to shout this bit- a grab your hairbrush really tight)

I'm in chains

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the 'baby baby look at me' at the end that gets my husband running from the room in terror (when I sing it, that is). Fantastic.

Have you got it? Can you email me the file? I can't find it anywhere ...

Claire said...

I only have the tape but I *think* my sister has the CD.
Can arrange to send a wee copy to you (not that I condone the copying of CDs or anything like that... of course)

Highlights from two years of blogging. said...

Oh yes, such a good one for singing and hair swishing- the three of us should get together and terrify the locals! ;)

Thanks Claire :) xx

Claire said...

oooh Diane, that sounds like a plan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...