Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Nearly there...

Book three - I'm so close to finishing I can almost feel it!
I'm getting ready to finish that book, have a wee cry and smash a glass into the fire ala Kathleen Turner in "Romancing the Stone" (except that we cant light a fire due to a collapsing chimney incident and I can't drink at the moment). Pouring a half drunk glass of Diet Coke down the sink doesn't have the same class does it? Even if I am crying into the kitchen roll while I do it.
I promise I'll post more once I have that bloody thing finished - honestly.

So while we're waiting for normal service to resume, here's a book MeMe...

1) Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
The new Cecelia Ahern - sorry Cecelia. I just disliked the last book so much I can't bring myself to try again. i'm assured "PS I Love You" is brilliant though and I might try it one of these days.

2) If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
Rachel from Rachel's Holiday, Auntie Anna from my next book 'Feels Like Maybe' and Mags from Sharon Owens "Revenge of the Wedding Planner" and we would all have a liquid lunch in a nice city centre bar and laugh til we peed.

3) (Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for a while, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?
Oooh this is a tough one. (Always mildly in awe of anyone who has written a book) but shamed as I am to admit it, because I've read it and think it is the most overrated book of all time it would have to be "Catcher in the Rye". Oprah recommended it and I bought it thinking Oprah could do no wrong. Turns out she can. It's rubbish and Holden Caulfield needs a good slap.

4) Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?
I tend to be honest about what I've read, or not, but I have a huge "to read" pile building up.

5) You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why?
Well, duh, Rainy Days and Tuesdays. One more reader always helps.

6) A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
Rachel's Holiday, by Marian Keyes - the only book I've been able to reread over and over.

8) That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leather bound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.
I have had this dream! It's a pale blue room in an old house with huge bay sash windows, the frames painted white. I have floor to ceiling shelves in dark wood along one wall, filled with my favourite reads (and yes, I love Trade Paperbacks, so let's go with that!). On the opposite wall, there is an old fashioned fire place and decorating that wall are framed posters advertising my books.
There is a dark leather seat and footstool - just the one - where I sit and read and a music system is piped in. The room gets the light in the evening and no one else in the whole world is ever allowed in.
*sigh*

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...