Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bizarre things I remember from university...


For three years, from October 1994 to June 1997*, I studied at the University of Ulster, Jordanstown Campus.
Majoring in ethics and philosophy, I graduated with a 2:1 Degree in Modern Studies in the Humanities.
As part of this, I scored a first in my dissertation into the ethics of genetic selection and fertility treatment.
I also had a particular flair for political philosophy - and new all about the Rawlsian principles of justice, and indeed could have told you all you needed to know about Karl Marx and his believes.
I was fascinated with the notion of moral responsibility and the veil of ignorance which we should all consider when making our decisions.
That said, when you ask me what I remember most of my university learning, I can only really quote the veil of ignorance stuff and the words to "Little Boxes" **, which Dr. Bill Riches would refer to in his lectures on American history.
The experience was obviously really worth my three years of study, non?
* Oh God, I graduated more than 10 years ago!
** Thanks to Keris for putting the whole Little Boxes thing in my head again

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...